Oracle Observations

November 17, 2012

Oracle forms 11g, OLE2, Windows 2008 R2 64bit issue. (Possibly.)

Filed under: 11g,OLE,Oracle forms,Uncategorized — bigdaveroberts @ 10:12 pm

For clarity, its definitely a forms issue and It’s definitely an OLE2 issue.

But the rest is speculative.

The application was developed to produce reports as Excel spreadsheets using OLE2 to to populate the cells with data.

This was originally developed under Forms 6i and was successfully migrated to Forms 10g using the middle tier to generate the spreadsheets and then pass it back to the user using the same mechanism (WEB.SHOW_DOCUMENT) as used to pass oracle reports back.

Upon migration to Forms 11g this implementation still worked using 32bit windows server 2003 for the middle tier, but when we moved to 64bit Windows Server 2008 R2 the process failed.

We could see Excel being invoked, but it ran only briefly and then terminated without generating a spreadsheet or logging any form of error that we could find.

I tested using my development environment under windows 7 64 bit and the functionality worked fine.

So, it was back to Sysinternals process monitor (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645) to try and work out the difference in behavior.

My expectation was that it would be some obscure registry setting that would be the cause, in fact the behavior diverged after an attempt to read the following directory:

c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\desktop

Strangely this directory was also missing on my windows 7 PC but it was present on windows server 2003.

I copied the desktop directory and its contents from the windows 2003 server to the windows 2008 server and the problem disappeared.

I then deleted the contents of the desktop directory and the Excel spreadsheet was still successfully generated.

So in conclusion, I guess, that when Oracle implemented it’s forms OLE2 interface, they based it on configuration information that is no longer present on 64 bit Windows Server 2008 R2.

However I am uncertain as to when that directory disappeared.

There is also the issue that on my development machine the problem didn’t manifest itself, indicating that the problem may be more complex than this initial investigation has exposed.

As a last observation, the closest I’ve come to an official document that hints at being related on Metalink is:

Bug 11704826 : PROPOSAL FAILS IN 8.1.1.3 WITH WINDOWS 2008 AND OFFICE 2007

Although there is no explicit reference to OLE2 and the bug appears unresolved.

Not quite the conclusive conclusion that I like, but interesting enough for a blog post.

(Possibly.)

Advertisements

Leave a Comment »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: